11 July 2007

Journey to the center of the blogosfear

There had been of late an increase, in the messages passing by on the pneumatic tube, of canisters marked Attn: 8 random facts about myself. Clearly some sort of chain-letter; harmless as long as it didn't exceed message-handling capacity.

An exemplar that had dumped into my tray for lack of a recipient piqued my curiosity. I succumbed to the temptation to trace it to its source—this was an easy task, I told myself, especially because the chain-letter, potentially duplicating eight ways at each recipient, must obey the principle of Octo-Logarithmycks: even if there were, say, as many as thirty thousand of these things, it shouldn't take more than ten "generations" or so to reach the source. Its path, I knew, could be traced by scent with the application of specially prepared rodents, of which I happened to possess a pair.

Peeling back the onion-like layers of these pen-pal "communities" revealed striking and astute connexions: from atheists to Christians to erotic novels, from bookworms to Sufism, from admonishments to buy more Victory Gin to Shia knitting.

Then the trail went cold, somewhen in early March. I appeared to be going in circles. Had this "mi-meme" been born of a Mœbius-loop time anomaly? Was this creature an abomination of causality, never meant to cross the threshold into our world?

My palms sweating, I turned to the archaic tome known to some as Altavista advanced search. It only confirmed my gravest fears: the Thing had slithered out of the deep abyss whose name is whispered only in the most purple of prose.

rathish Said,
October 12, 2006 @ 7:22 pm

alexis chetta.. shall i tag you…????
I wanted your permission before tagging you.
If you dont want to repeat a tag again in your blog…u can always
postpone this tag.And if dont wanna do this..it is also okiie…
The tag is 8 random facts about you.


It was MySpace, and I had exposed myself to its progeny.

Still I pressed on, back into the deepest recesses of the Thing's past, where primordial soup sloshed against the shores while the names of elder monstrosities were tossed about with abandon — when suddenly, all was quiet but for faint, ululating pipes in the distance. Then:

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Ok, I was tagged by Robbie to list 8 random facts about me....they are probably not so interesting...but here goes....

1. Thursday I was in line at Wal-Mart with 2 more items to be scanned when the electricity went out....45 minutes later I finally got to leave!!

2. I am watching the Disney Channel....with my sister!

3. I am cooking a roast for the first time!

4. I like to paint although I am not that good at it!

5. My markers have to be arranged, ROYGBIV, or it bothers me terribly!!

6. I miss playing the piano...we do not have a piano here so I only get to play when I go home...

7. I graduate May 13, 2006!! Only a year late!! Not too bad!

8. I love bite-sized Cherry Twislers!

Ok, so maybe it is not so interesting, but that is my list...now I tag:

Allyson, Scott, and Nash!!


I see it, ph'nglui an even greater horror than MySpace— who would know but for wgah'nagl the drums cheezburger fthaghn mglw'nafh lolthulhu roflmao Chínhđi unàycùngv Shub-internet.ims.disa.mil ïarpanet [the rest of the note is illegible]

No comments: